Dr. George Loewit
George Washington Loewit was born May 11, 1889 in New York City, NY. He was the son of Albrecht Loewit (1859-1928) and Anna Kafka Loewit (1859-1926).
George left New York in 1917 and settled in Youngstown, OH. He worked as an optometrist on the 4th floor of McKelvey's Store in Youngstown, OH. George married Sadye Friedman (1888-1968) on June 3, 1917. In the 1920s, Dr. Loewit opened his own office on 12 South Phelps Street in Youngstown, OH.
George's two children both became optometrists. Carolyn Loewit Kovsky (1919-1994) and her husband, Albert Kovsky (1915-1977) also worked as optometrists in Dr. George Loewit's office. The office became known as "Loewit & Kovsky Optometrists". Irving Loewit (George's son) work as an optometrist in Girard, OH and later in Dayton, OH.
Dr. George Loewit considered himself to be a manufacturing optician as well as an optometrist. He grinded his own lens in his office. Bifocals were sold for $10.00 a pair in 1921. Distant or Reading glasses were sold for $5.00 a pair in 1921. George retired in the early 1960s. He died September 15, 1962 in Youngstown, OH.
Photograph from the collection of Jil Loewit, granddaughter.