William J. Stoop
William J. Stoop in his Civil War Navy uniform. William was a seaman on board the U.S.S. Tyler, a timberclad gunboat, and a member of the Mississippi Squadron.
William lived in several places after the war but settled in Pittsburgh around 1880, living in the Lawrenceville section of the city. He and his wife Mary Margaret Snyder resided at 5139 Keystone Avenue at the time of his death in June 1898. William was a moulder by trade and worked at the Hydraulic Machine Co. when he died. They raised a family of 10 children.
William J. and Mary Stoop are buried in Allegheny Cemetery with a stone G.A.R. tablet marker.
Photo taken about 1863.
Submitted by William J. Stoop, great grandson