D. T. J. Ball

D. T. J. Ball

Teacher at Colfax High School, Colfax, Washington in 1921. He graduated from Washington State College and University of Washington.


See More Photos

Make the Photo Larger

 Click on Town, County, Surname or any of the tags to see more

Click on the word "original" above and a window will open with a the photo in a larger size. 

 Add Information 

 Want to add some information or comment on this photo?  Click on "Add new comment" above.


Biography of Doric Tristan Jemison Ball

Doric T. J. Ball's father, Doric Sabre Jemison-Ball, died when he was 2 YOA. His mother and her sister, Gutherin (Gerty), took him to Port Angeles, Washington sometime around 1892. In Port Angeles, Margrit married a Danish immigrant named Anders Andreson. She died when Tristan was about four years old and Andreson married his mother's sister, Gerty. Tristan was informally adopted and continued to live with his step-father and step-mother until he was about twelve years old.

After joining the Navy between 1900 and 1908, he returned home to Port Angeles. He knew that he needed further education, so he applied to the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. He majored in Chemical Engineering and completed his freshman year when it was discovered that he did not have a high school diploma. He was dismissed from the University, but based on his freshman year transcript, he applied and was accepted at Washington State Colege (now Washington State University.) He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering in 1914.

In the same graduating class, Tristan became acquainted with another student named Lena Jane Harthill, the daughter of a wheat farmer near Pine City, Washington. Followng graduation, Tristan's travels took him back to Port Angeles where he worked as an assistant city engineer. Later he worked as a chemical engineer at the Anaconda Copper Company in Butte, Montana.

Shortly before the end of World War I, he proposed to Lena Harthill and she accepted. She traveled to New York City where they were married in 1918. On Feburary 1, 1919 when he mustered out of the service, they returned to the Pine City, Washington area and got a job teaching Chemistry and Physics in the Colfax, Washington High School. His new wife,Lena, taught English in the same school.In 1928,Tristan lost his job as principal of the Colfax High School and moved to a teaching job in Cle Elum,Washington. Disheartened with teaching, he stayed there through the year and made arrangements to buy a dry cleaning shop in Arlington, Washington. He and Lena operated the cleaning shop until 1933 when he received an offer of a job in New York City working for his cousin, Dr. Louise C. Ball. They sold their shop and moved to New York City.They stayed in New York City for less than a year and then returned to Port Angeles.

He joined the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in March of 1934 and was appointed as an educational advisor in the CCC. The owner of the dry cleaning shop in Arlington went broke and the Ball family repossessed the business. Tristan couldn't return home,except on weekends, so Lena and their son, Doric William Jemison Ball took over the business. During his years in the CCC, Tristan developed a strong interest in the lapidary hobby which was a natural outgrowth ofhis extensive background in Geology, In 1939, his job with the CCC was terminated and he returned to Arlington. The depression was over and with the improving economy the CLeaning Shop in Arlington was closed and he purchased Modern Cleaners at 3501 Fremont Avenue, Seattle, Washington. His son enlisted in the Army in October of 1942, and left Tristan and Lena to run the shop for the rest of WWII.

At the end of the war, after VJ Day, the Dry Cleaning Shop was sold and Tristan and Lena retired to their country home on the Jordan Road just outside of Arlington, Washington.In the retirement years, he developed his interest in lapidary, maintained a huge garden, raised cattle for milk and meat, and indulged his wife's love of flowers by growing literally acres of dahalias, created a park like area surrounding a creek that passed through his property, and indulged his love of music by playing the violin. His other musical instrument, the bagpipes, were play outdoors in deference to Lena's wishes.He was also very active in the American Legion and the Masons.

Tristan beloved Lena died Arpil 12, 1973 and he passed away on February 20, 1974 at the age of 85.

D. T. J. Ball

This photo is of Doric Tristan Jemison Ball 1888-1974, son of Doric Sabre Jemison Ball and Margret Porkells Sottin Arnason